The following is a collection of recent tools, resources, articles and literature you may consider as you design provider behavior change interventions to address Expectation, Ability and/or Opportunity barriers. Often, these challenges cannot be addressed solely through SBCC. However, using SBCC to complement the interventions can help make them more successful.
For example, a program that seeks to address Ability-related gaps through trainings providers in HIV counseling skills could develop complementary SBCC activities to build demand for HIV counseling and testing.
SBCC could complement Expectation-related challenges where FBPs do not understand quality standards or what is expected of them through community mobilization.
Opportunity-related challenges could be complemented by community advocacy to enable resources and health system support for improved CHW integration into the health system.
|Toolkits/Guidance Documents||Key Background Literature|
- UNICEF—Community Based Infant and Young Child Feeding, 2010. Support Supervision Module
- IPC Toolkit, PSI, Implementation module: Quality Assurance Chapter and Cost Effectiveness Chapter
- PSI Provider Behavior Change Toolkit: Support Supervision Tools and Coaching Basics Handbook
- Developing and Strengthening Community Health Worker Programs at Scale: A Reference Guide for Program Managers and Policy Makers, MCHIP, 2013
- IPC Toolkit, PSI, Implementation module
- Social and Behavior Change Communication for Frontline Health Workers, C-Change, 2012
- The Balance Counseling Strategy: A Toolkit for Family Planning Providers, Population Council
- Provider Behavior Change Communication Toolkit. PSI, 2012: Guidelines for identifying provider needs and creating value propositions (communications and materials development) and Objection handling guidance (communication and materials development)
- Supporting Orphans and other Vulnerable Children Through Communication and Basic Counseling. International HIV/AIDS Alliance, 2008
- Helping Health Workers Learn
- Village Health Team: A Handbook to Improve Health in Communities
- Mapping of Training Resource Packages on RH, newborn, child health and adolescent health for CHWs. World Health Organization. April 2014.
- We are Health Curriculum. Community Capacitation Center. Available through: CHW Central
- A Guide for Training Community Health Workers/Volunteers to Provide Maternal and Newborn Health Messages. Basics, POPPHI. September 2009. CHW Central
- Barrier Analysis Facilitators Guide. Food for the Hungry: A tool for improving behavior change communication in child survival and community development programs. 2010
- Make Me a Change Agent
- Interactive Health Education from NURHI
- Meeting the Health Information Needs of Health Workers: What have we learned? M. D’Adamo, et al. Journal of Health Communication: International Perspectives, 17:sup2, 23-29
- Developing and Strengthening Community Health Worker Programs at Scale: A Reference Guide for Program Managers and Policy Makers, MCHIP, 2013: Section 3 - CHW Programs in Context and Appendix 1, Case Study of Large Scale Community Health Worker Programs
- Open Source Human Resource Information Systems
- CRS Guide to Working with Volunteers. Catholic Relief Services, 2012.
- Capacity Project Legacy Site
- Scaling up Health workforce Education and Training: A guide for Applying the Bottlenecks and Best Buys Approach
- Planning, Developing and Supporting the Health Workforce: Results and Lessons Learned from the Capacity Project, 2004-2009
- Strengthening Human Resources Management: Knowledge, Skills and Leadership. J. McCaffery et al. Capacity Project. Legacy Series, 2009